Search This Blog

Monday, March 4, 2013

Day 17: Hello, Susan (part I)

In 2004, I placed a bid at a silent auction fundraiser and as a result, met one of my all-time favorite people. The bid was for a free 2-hour furniture painting class and I won! The rest, as they say, is history. Well, it's my history...mine and Susan's, I guess.
 
I went in for my first class at the Susan Van Huss Design Studio armed with an old table I wanted to use for my kids' art table in the basement. I met Susan and the ladies and started painting.
 
I went back every Tuesday for the next 8 years.
 
I went back for the creative outlet, the friendship, the therapy...but Susan is at the heart of it. She teaches you how to paint furniture, sure, but has also created a haven for people to make something, to lend an ear or give a hug when someone needs it and to take time out of your life to do this thing you love. She has created a community and I am so lucky to be (a somewhat absentee) part of it.
 
I got a little carried away here, so I'll be back with more on Susan at fivethirty soon!
Bye for now,
Erica



1 comment:

  1. susan IS a treasure, that is for sure!!!! But so are YOU erica!!!

    ReplyDelete