Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Day 20: secretary

It was a fun day at fivethirty this morning. The ladies in the cottage nest craft class had a great time making their journals. And, it was nice to have some company on what I consider my Monday morning! It must have been contagious though because we have had lots of visitors on this cold, cold morning.
 
I'm pleased to share with you one of my favorite pieces we've redone. Here's a glimpse of the before (my husband likes to point out the flaws in furniture and he took this picture)...
 
 
 
 
And here she is now...
 
This was a project where I had a very specific vision and this is not it! We started with a creamy white and the nicotine bled through. Her previous owner played bridge and smoked (as evidenced by all the ashtrays and playing cards we found in the top drawer).
 
So, back to the drawing board. It was black for a while and I finally settled on the gray. I had this gray mixed up years ago as a custom color from porter paints and decided to use it on this piece. We used Miss Mustard Seed's antiquing wax and left some of the wood exposed (after cleaning and using hemp oil).
 
A couple of close ups...
 
 
 
 
 
I like her alot even though I'm a little disappointed I didn't end up with the original look. I'll save that for the next one!
 
 
Bye for now,
Erica
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment