Search This Blog

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Day 21: what is the difference?

The question we are asked most: "What is the difference between milk paint and chalk paint?"
  
Let me say first that I have used what I think are the three most well-known brands of chalk paint: Annie Sloan, Cee Cee Caldwell and Maison Blanche. And, we carry Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint in the store.
 
  Milk Paint is more unpredictable than chalk paint. The results you get from milk paint depend a great deal on the finish on the piece you are painting and the look you hope to achieve (basically, if you use bonding agent or not).

 
no bonding agent
 
 
with bonding, sanded edges


Here's a great side-by-side comparison of Annie Sloan's Arles with dark wax and Miss Mustard Seed's Mustard Seed with Antiquing Wax...


chalk paint with dark wax
 
 
milk paint with antiquing wax

Pretty similar, don't you think?

I use both milk paint and chalk paint (and latex and craft paint, for that matter!). I use milk paint more because I like to have samples of all the colors in the Miss Mustard Seed line in the store. 

 Of the chalk paints, I like Annie Sloan for regular painting. I love Cee Cee Caldwells for stencils. You can do either a dry or wet distress and it looks old and worn. Maison Blanche is great to create different patterns and more specialty painting.

The next time someone asks, I guess I'll have an answer!!

Bye for now,

Erica

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment